San Diego is the perfect destination to cap off summer’s end and explore the stunning beaches in San Diego. Besides the incredible views of the ocean, San Diego is filled with fantastic dining experiences, drive-in movies, and more fun for the family.
If you plan on spending Labor Day weekend in San Diego, we recommend hitting a few of these places for the ultimate Labor Day weekend fun.
Nighttime Zoo At the san diego zoo
- Address: 2920 Zoo Dr
The San Diego Zoo invites guests to stay after dark and enjoy the zoo at night. Guest will be greeted with live music, acrobats, and laser shows. You can find tickets online and experience the best zoos in the United States.
The blue whale is known to migrate off the coast of San Diego in September. Labor Day weekend is the perfect time to pop on a boat and view these whales, who feed off the coast during the summer months. It’s unlikely to see them from the shore, so a boat is the best option, but if you’re worried about getting seasick, you can see grey whales from the shore.
Go to the Beach
San Diego has 70 miles of coastline and calm waters, inviting the entire family to go out and place. These are a few of the best beaches to check out in the area:
- Pacific Beach: laid back and lined with shopping
- Ocean Beach: perfect for the entire family
- La Jolla Cove Beach: safe swimming environment
Dining outdoors in San Diego is perfect because you’ll always have excellent weather and a stunning view. San Diego has an incredible option of restaurants as well, and these are a few we recommend trying:
- Cloak & Petal in Little Italy: serves Japanese specialty rolls with creative cocktails
- JRDN Restaurant in Pacific Beach: burgers paired with local IPAs
- Caroline’s Seaside Café in La Jolla Shores: offers panoramic ocean views with healthy dishes
- Great Maple in Hillcrest: perfect American comfort food
Visit a Museum
Missing the fantastic museums in San Diego should be considered a crime. There are a variety of incredible museums catered to the entire family that is worth a visit when you’re in the area. Here are a few of our favorites:
- USS Midway Museum: A naval ship docked in the Embarcadero serves as a maritime museum.
- Fleet Science Center: has over 100 interactive exhibits and an IMAX theater dome.
- The Museum of US: an anthropology museum that shows the roles of humans in the world.
- The New Children’s Museum encourages kids to use art and creative play.
- San Diego Air and Space Museum: view original and replica historic aircraft and spacecraft.
La Jolla Cove
Not only is going to La Jolla Cove free, but you will also witness a fantastic sunset over the ocean. The beach is gorgeous and ranked one of the tops in the United States. Grab a picnic and enjoy some outdoor times with the family.
Walk the Gaslamp Quarter
The Gaslamp Quarter is a historic district in San Diego. There are landmarks like the Davis-Horton House and the Flame Flower sculpture. Petco Park is one of the best ball parks in America and a must stop when in the area.
Visit The Mission Trails Regional Park
This park offers a lot of history, culture, and recreational fun. They have a visitors center where you can learn more about the local habitat and wildlife. The park is over 40-miles long and offers hiking and biking trails as well.
Chicano Park has over 80 murals and is a National Landmark. It is the largest collection of Chicano murals and is not a sight you want to miss.
Drive Up Mt. Soledad
If you want an incredible view of San Diego, nothing will beat Mt. Soledad. When you reach the top, you get a breathtaking 360-view of the city, including the La Jolla coastline and Mission Bay. While it’s nothing fancy, it’s something perfect to do with the family.
Have a Bonfire
A beach bonfire is perfect for gathering friends and family together and enjoying the evening together. There are a ton of beaches in San Diego that have bonfire rings, but these are our favorites:
- Coronado Beach
- La Jolla Shores
- Ocean Beach
- Mission Beach
Make sure to look at their websites for details and reservations.
San Diego has so many activities you can do during Labor Day Weekend that you won’t know where to start. Have a great time with the entire family and explore San Diego’s wonders together.